||The Avon Free Library was originally founded in 1914 by
a group of citizens interested in providing library services to the community. After first
being housed in a rented room in the Babcock Building and later in the Boorman House, the
cornerstone was laid on September 15, 1927 for a new building. Noted Rochester
architectural firm of Arnold & Stern was responsible for the design of the Georgian
Revival building. The Avon Free Library officially opened its doors on April 12, 1928 as is
housed in the Aaron Barber Memorial building named in honor of its benefactor.